Alan Permane, Sporting Director - Technical programme notes
• In FP1, Jolyon used Pirelli’s Medium (white) and Supersoft (red) tyres, while Nico ran all three compounds available this weekend, Medium, Soft (yellow) and Supersoft.
• In FP2 both drivers used the Soft and Supersoft tyres.
• We ran through a standard Friday programme with tyre evaluation over long and short runs, plus a qualifying simulation in the afternoon. Additionally we evaluated a new floor and conducted lots of starts.
• Jolyon was unfortunate to lose some running in the morning. He also ended his afternoon session early with a clutch problem.
What we learned today :
• It’s wild and windy down the straights, which can make finding the right balance tricky.
Nico Hülkenberg, #27, R.S.17-04
Free practice 1 : P17, 1:32.171, 19 laps
Free practice 2 : P7, 1:29.936, 37 laps
Nico : “We had two okay Friday sessions with no major issues today. Amongst the work accomplished was the running of a new floor this afternoon. We now need to analyse and see what it has done for us. Regarding the pace, we need to do some work to find a bit more balance and performance overall, especially in the long runs. This means a bit of preparation work for us between now and tomorrow’s qualifying, but I’m looking forward to it.”
Jolyon Palmer, #30, R.S.17-01
Free practice 1 : P18, 1:32.450, 16 laps
Free practice 2 : P18, 1:30.879, 25 laps
Jolyon : “I missed half the morning with an MGU-K shaft that needed replacing, but when I did get some running in I was pretty happy with the car. The afternoon started okay and I was happy with the car on the Soft tyres, but when I put on the Supersoft tyres I found there wasn’t any grip. I had a spin and then struggled to get them working correctly. Unfortunately then we had to stop the car on a long run with a clutch problem. We will hope for better luck tomorrow !”
Bob Bell, Chief Technical Officer : “A slightly mixed afternoon for us. Nico got in the running he needed to do and we got the information we needed on the tyres for the race. He set a good time on low fuel, which we hope we can reproduce in qualifying. We’re pleased with that and the progress we’ve made. Jo had a slightly less fortunate day with his clutch problem in the afternoon, on top of the mechanical issue in the morning, and never got a fair crack at a time. Overall for the team, I think we have had a productive day and look forward to qualifying tomorrow.”